Thursday, September 9, 2010

building spiritual muscles

I have 3 sons who are 17, 19, &21 years old and they all work out and lift weights regularly.  They often spend several hours a day on lifting, running, exercising, planning the correct amount of protein to consume and eating healthy. They are very dedicated to their passion and to their goal.  They realize that it takes time and commitment to develop those oh so coveted "6-pack abs or killer biceps".  They show their dedication and I am proud of them for their commitment.

It makes me wonder, however, about my dedication and commitment to my faith.  Sadly, I can't be as proud of myself in this area. What would happen if I spent even one tenth of the amount of time that my sons spend on building physical muscles each week, on time with God?  What kind of spiritual muscles could I build with that time?  Where or how would God be able to use me if I had just a small portion of the passion that they reveal in their workouts? Faith and spiritual maturity requires time and energy and a passion for God.  I need to commit to build strong spiritual muscles through quiet time with God, prayer, and bible study. A workout with an eternal reward!

No comments: