Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Time with God

Today I had a doctors appointment in town at 10am, so I decided to take the whole day off.  A very unusual occurrence but one that I knew would be nice.  I got up at my usual time and just puttered around the house and read a little.  My two dogs were so content with me being there.  When I returned home, they were thrilled.  What a short day! they must have thought.  They got to go out whenever they wanted, got a few extra treats and even an extra walk.  But the best part of the day, (I think they would say if they could talk), was that they got to be with Mom all day.  Our dogs want to just spend time with us.  Same with our loved ones.  There is nothing better than hanging out with family or friends and developing a stronger relationship.

I believe that God is the same way.  He longs to have us spend time with him, to get to know him better and to develop a stronger relationship with him.  How much time do I give to God in prayer and worship, in reading his word and listening to him in quietness?  Do I give him as much time as I give my dogs?  I don't think I want to answer that question.  Faith is not stagnant, it needs to grow and the only way to mature in faith is to focus on God. 

No comments: